Practice Exam: Chapter 2, Research Methods
Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Research and Practice 3rd ed.
The best way to take this exam is to answer each question on a piece of paper, and then click the answer link at the bottom of this page to check your answers. Keep in mind that there can be several ways to phrase an answer, so if you aren't sure if your answer is correct, ask your instructor.
1. What is the first step of every research study?
2. Define independent and dependent variables.
3. Define random assignment.
4. What are the two distinguishing features of an experiment?
5. State the difference between a cross-sectional and longitudinal design.
6. According to classical measurement theory, what are the two components of an observation?
7. State the two types of reliability.
8. List four types of validity.
9. Which statistic indicates the degree of relation between two variables?
10. Which branch of statistics allows us to draw conclusions that generalize beyond the data at hand?
Copyright Paul E. Spector, All rights reserved. Last modified July 22, 2002.