Practice Exam: Chapter 7, Training: Answers
Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Research and Practice 3rd ed.
Before you check your answers, you should take the exam on a piece of paper. Keep in mind that there can be several ways to phrase an answer, so if you aren't sure if your answer is correct, ask your instructor.
1. List the five steps of an effective training program.
Conduct needs assessment, set objectives, design training, deliver training, evaluate training. p. 163.
2. What are the three levels of training needs assessment?
Organization, job, person. p. 164.
3. The application of training back to the job itself is called…
Transfer of training. p. 165.
4. Define the concept of identical elements.
Responses in the training situation are the same as those on the job itself. p. 168.
5. The purpose of overlearning is to get people to achieve the state of _____ in doing job tasks.
Automaticity. p. 169.
6. Distinguish massed from spaced training and note which is generally more effective for learning.
Massed means training is done in few very long sessions, whereas spaced means training is done is many short sessions. Spaced usually results in better learning. p. 170.
7. What is the major disadvantage of E-learning?
Most people who begin on-line training courses fail to complete them. p. 174.
8. Any training method that is self-paced is called…
Autoinstruction. p. 172.
9. What are the four types of training criteria?
Reactions, learning, behavior, results. p. 176.
10. What is the major drawback of the pretest-posttest design?
It is difficult to attribute possible changes from pretest to posttest to the training rather than other events in the organization. pp. 178-179.
Copyright Paul E. Spector, All rights reserved, Last modified July 23, 2002.