Practice Exam: Chapter 5, Assessment Methods: Answers
Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Research and Practice 3rd ed.
Before you check your answers, you should take the exam on a piece of paper. Keep in mind that there can be several ways to phrase an answer, so if you aren't sure if your answer is correct, ask your instructor.
1. An essay exam is a _____ test and a multiple choice exam is a _____ test.
open-ended, objective. pp. 106-107.
2. A test that is timed and allows barely enough time to finish is called a …?
Speed test. p. 107.
3. A test that involves the coordination of the senses and movement is a ...
psychomotor test. pp. 108-109.
4. What are the two types of tests that are used to predict counterproductive or dishonest employee behavior?
Overt integrity test and personality integrity test. p. 114.
5. What is the purpose of a biographical inventory?
To predict a person's job performance. p. 116.
6. Which type of interview has been found to be most valid?
Structured interview. p. 120.
7. Which property of work samples makes them most acceptable as a selection device?
Their high job relevance. p. 122.
8. What is an in-basket exercise?
An exercise that simulates a person's first day on the job. Part of an assessment center. p. 123.
9. What has been the major validity problem with assessment centers?
The same dimensions of performance across exercises are not very correlated, raising questions about whether they really assess what was intended. pp. 124-125.
10. A computer administered test that selects items according to a person's ability level is called…?
Tailored testing. p. 128.
Copyright Paul E. Spector, All rights reserved, Last modified July 23, 2002.