Practice Exam: Chapter 13, Leadership: Answers
Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Research and Practice 3rd ed.
Before you check your answers, you should take the exam on a piece of paper. Keep in mind that there can be several ways to phrase an answer, so if you aren't sure if your answer is correct, ask your instructor.
1. List the French and Raven five bases of power.
Expert, referent, legitimate, reward, coercive. pp. 313-314.
2. List the three Yukl sources of political power.
Co-opt the opposition, form coalitions, gain control of decision processes. p. 315.
3. What are the four requirements for a pattern of behavior to be considered sexual harassment?
Behavior is unwanted, adversely affects a person's employment, interferes with a person's job performance, and creates a hostile and intimidating work environment. (Note that not all four must be present). p. 316
4. What trait has been consistently associated with leader performance?
Cognitive ability (intelligence). (Other traits have been associated with leader emergence). p. 319.
5. State the two leadership style dimensions from the Ohio State Leadership Studies.
Consideration and initiating structure. p. 320.
6. The Least Preferred Coworker Scale assesses a characteristic of…
leaders. p. 323.
7. Path-goal theory is based on which motivation theory?
Expectancy theory. p. 325.
8. The distinguishing characteristic of leader-member exchange (LMX) theory is…
its focus on the leader--follower dyad or pair and recognition that supervisors don't treat each subordinate the same. p. 327.
9. Approximately what percentage of managers and supervisors in the U.S. were women in 1990?
40%. p. 332.
10. What is the glass ceiling?
The phenomenon that women and minorities can rise only to middle levels of organizations and then they experience impediments to further advancement. p. 332.
Copyright Paul E. Spector, All rights reserved, Last modified July 23, 2002.