Practice Exam: Chapter 10, Employee Behavior: Answers
Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Research and Practice 3rd ed.
Before you check your answers, you should take the exam on a piece of paper. Keep in mind that there can be several ways to phrase an answer, so if you aren't sure if your answer is correct, ask your instructor.
1. What are the three sets of factors that determine job performance?
Ability, motivation, and organizational constraints. p. 239.
2. List the big five dimensions of personality.
Extraversion, emotional stability, agreeableness, conscientiousness, openness to experience (note that different terms are sometimes used) p. 241.
3. What is the relation between age and job performance?
None. Older workers are equal in performance to younger workers. pp. 241-242.
4. According to job characteristics theory, which type of person would perform better in a job that is high in its motivation potential score, MPS?
A person high in growth need strength, GNS. p. 244.
5. The field that deals with the interface between people and technology is called…
Human factors (also called ergonomics or engineering psychology). p. 245.
6. A conceptual understanding of how something works is called a…
Mental model. p. 247.
7. What is organizational citizenship behavior, OCB?
Behavior that goes beyond the formal requirements of the job and that benefits the organization. p. 250.
8. What seem to be the two major contributors to absence behavior?
Absence culture and organizational absence policies. p. 254.
9. Under what conditions will job satisfaction and intention to quit result in turnover?
When the unemployment rate is low and jobs are plentiful. p. 256.
10. Under what conditions will a person who feels frustrated and dissatisfied at work resort to counterproductive behavior?
When he or she feels he or she has little control. p. 258.
Copyright Paul E. Spector, All rights reserved, Last modified July 23, 2002.