- Managing Editor, Journal of Science: Advanced Materials and Devices (Elsevier, 2016 - present)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Electronic Materials (Springer, ISI journal, Impact factor: 1.798, 2015 - present)
- Section Editor, The Journal of Nanoscience, Nanomedicine & Nanobiology (2015 - present)
- Section Editor, Physics Express (Simplex Academic Publishers, 2013 - 2015)
- Section Editor, Austin Journal of Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology (2013 - present)
- Section Editor, ScienceJet (Simplex Academic Publishers, 2012 - 2015)
- Editorial Board Member, ISRN Condensed Matter Physics (Hindawi Publising Corporation, 2011 - 2015)
- Lead Editor, Special issue "Advanced Electronic Materials and Devices", papers selected from International Workshop on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology: Opportunities for Academia & High Tech Industry, November 2 - 4, 2015, Da Nang City, Vietnam
- Lead Editor, Special issue "Functional Nanomaterials and Devices for Biomedical Engineering and Sensing Applications''; papers selected from the Energy Materials Nanotechnology (EMN) Fall Meeting, November 22–25, 2014, Orlando, USA.
- Guest Editor, Special issue “Advanced Nanomaterials and Nanocomposites as Novel Platforms for Biosensing and Chemosensing Technologies” , Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2016
- Guest Editor, Special issue “Nanomaterials for Biomedical Applications and Environmental Monitoring”, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2015
- Guest Editor, Special issue “Advanced Magnetic Materials: Genetics, Mechanism, and Therapies”, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2012
- Conference Co-chair, The 8th Energy Materials Nanotechnology (EMN) Fall Meeting, November 22 - 25, 2014, Orlando, USA
- Co-organizer, the Workshop "Functional Magnetic Materials and Applications, Donosita International Conference on Nanoscale Magnetism and Applications (DICNMA), September 9 - 13, 2013, San Sebastián, Spain
- Local organizing committee, Nano-Bio Collaborative International Conference, March 22-24, 2012, Tampa, Florida, USA
- International Advisory Committee, The Third International Conference on Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology (ICAMN 2016), October 2-5, 2016, Hanoi, Vietnam
- International Advisory Committee and Organizer, The Joint 4th Asia-Pacific Chemical and Biological Microfluidics Conference, November 2 - 4, 2015, Da Nang City, Vietnam
- International Advisory Committee, The Donostia International Workshop on Energy, Materials and Nanotechnology, September 1 - 4, 2015, San Sebastian, Spain
- International Advisory Committee, Donosita International Conference on Nanoscaled Magnetism and Applications (DICNMA), September 9 - 13, 2013, San Sebastián, Spain
- Magnetic Materials Committee Member, The Minerals Metals and Materials Society (TMS), 2011-present
- Reviewer, Ta Quang Buu Award, 2016
- Membership Reviewer, The World Academy of Science (TWAS), 2013
- Research Grant/Panel Reviewer,
National Science Foundation, USA (2015, 2016),
The NASA Postdoctoral Program (NPP), Oak Ridge Associated Universities, USA (2015),
Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) Research Development Fund, China (2015),
American Association for the Advancement of Science, USA (2014), USF Research Foundation, USA (2014),
CRDF Global-Urals Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences Joint Basic Research Competition, USA (2013, 2014), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), United Kingdom (2011), and Kentucky Science and Engineering Foundation R&D Excellence Awards, USA (2009, 2011, 2014)
- Technical Reviewer for over 100 peer-reviewed journals, including Nature, Nature Materials, ACS Nano, Advanced Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Energy Materials,
Applied Physics Letters, Nanotechnology, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials
- eBook proposal reviewer, Bentham Science Publishers, 2012
- Book chapter reviewer, Elsevier Publishers, 2013
- Reviewer for conference papers on magnetism and magnetic materials (2003-present)
- Book chapter reviewer, Bentham Science Publishers, 2012
- Session chairs,
The TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition (2016);
The Joint 4th Asia-Pacific Chemical and Biological Microfluidics Conference (2015); Annual Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials (2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014); The 12th Joint MMM/Intermag Conference (2013);
The 19th International Conference on Magnetism (2012); American Physical Society Meeting (2009); International Symposium on Advanced Magnetic Materials and Applications (2007)
- Coordinator, The Global Education Program between USF and Vietnamese Universities (2011-present)
- M.H. Phan and H.X. Peng
Giant Magnetoimpedance Materials: Fundamentals and Applications
Progress in Materials and Science, 2008, Vol. 53, 323 (97 pages) PDF
(5 year impact factor: 23.719 - Top 25 hottest articles in 2007, 2008, and The Top10 most cited articles in the last five years).
(Featured in The hottest articles and The most cited articles)
- M.H. Phan and S.C. Yu
Review of the Magnetocaloric Effect in Manganite Materials
Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2007, Vol. 308, 325 (15 pages) PDF
(over 700 citations - Top 25 hottest articles in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, and The most cited article of the year 2012).
(Featured in The hottest articles and The most cited articles)
- H. Khurshid, P. Lampen-Kelley, Ò. Iglesias, J. Alonso, M.H. Phan, M.L Saboungie, C.G. Sun, and H. Srikanth
Spin-glass-like freezing of inner and outer surface layers in hollow gama-Fe2O3 nanoparticles
Nature - Scientific Reports 2015, Vol. 5, 15054 (13 pages) PDF.
- B. Duong, H. Khurshid, P. Gangopadhyay, J. Devkota, K. Stojak,
H. Srikanth, L. Tetard, R.A. Norwood, N. Peyghambarian, M.H. Phan, and J. Thomas
Enhanced Magnetism in Highly Ordered Magnetite Nanoparticle-filled Nanohole Arrays
Small, 2014, Vol. 10, 2840 (8 pages) PDF and Featured image
- J. Devkota, M.T. Trang, K. Stojak, P.T. Ha, H.N. Pham, T. L. Ngo, N.X. Phuc, P. Mukherjee, H. Srikanth, and M.H. Phan
Synthesis, inductive heating, and magnetoimpedance-based detection of multifunctional Fe3O4 nanoconjugates
Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 2014, Vol. 190, 715 (8 pages) PDF.
- P. Lampen, N.S. Bingham, M.H. Phan, T.H. Yi, S.W. Cheong, and H. Srikanth
Macroscopic phase diagram and magnetocaloric study of metamagnetic transitions in spin chain Ca3Co2O6
Physical Review B, 2014, Vol. 89, 144414 (8 pages) PDF.
- H. Khurshid, M.H. Phan, P. Mukherjee, and H. Srikanth
Tuning exchange bias in Fe/gama-Fe2O3 core-shell nanoparticles: Impacts of interface and surface spins
Applied Physics Letters 2014, Vol. 104, 072407 (5 pages) PDF.
- P. Lampen, M.H. Phan, K. Kovnir, P. Chai, M. Shatruk, and H. Srikanth
Heisenberg-like ferromagnetism in 3d-4f intermetallic La
0.7Pr0.25Co2P2 with localized Co moments
Physical Review B 2014, Vol. 90, 174404 (10 pages) PDF.
- S. Chandra, N.A. Frey, M.H. Phan, S. Srinath, S. Chandra, H. Srikanth, M.A. Garcia, Y. Lee, C. Wang, S. Sun, and O. Iglesias
Exchange bias effect in Au-Fe3O4 nanocomposites
Nanotechnology 2014, Vol. 25, 055702 (11 pages) PDF.
- Anis Biswas, P. Zhang, T-L Phan, T. D. Thanh, N. H. Dan, S. C. Yu, H. Srikanth, and M. H. Phan
The scaling and universality of conventional and inverse magnetocaloric effects in Heusler
Applied Physics Letters 2013, Vol. 103, 162410 (5 pages) PDF.
- P. Lampen, N. S. Bingham, M.H. Phan, H. Kim, M. Osofsky, A. Piqué, T.L. Phan, S.C. Yu, and H. Srikanth
Impact of reduced dimensionality on the magnetic and magnetocaloric response of La0.7Ca0.3MnO3
Applied Physics Letters 2013, Vol. 102, 062414 (5 pages) PDF.
- A. Biswas, S. Chandra, T. Samanta, B. Ghosh, M.H. Phan, A. K. Raychaudhuri, I. Das, and H. Srikanth
Universality in the entropy change for the inverse magnetocaloric effect
Physical Review B 2013, Vol. 87, 134420 (7 pages) PDF.
- N. S. Bingham, H. Wang, F. Qin, H. X. Peng, J. F. Sun, V. Franco, H. Srikanth, and M.H. Phan
Excellent magnetocaloric properties of melt-extracted Gd-based amorphous microwires
Applied Physics Letters, 2012, Vol. 101, 102407 (3 pages) PDF.
- N.S. Bingham, P. Lampen, M.H. Phan, N.D. Hoang, H.D. Chinh, C.L. Zhang, S.W. Cheong, and H. Srikanth
Impact of nanostructuring on the magnetic and magnetocaloric properties of microscale phase-separated La5/8-yPryCa3/8MnO3 manganites
Physical Review B, 2012, Vol. 86, 064420 (9 pages) PDF.
- H. Khurshid, W. Li, M.H. Phan, P. Mukherjee, H. Srikanth, and G.C. Hadjipanayis
Surface spin disorder and exchange-bias in hollow maghemite nanoparticles
Applied Physics Letters, 2012, Vol. 101, 022403 (3 pages) PDF.
- S. Chandra, H. Khurshid, W. Li, G. C. Hadjipnayis, M. H. Phan, and H. Srikanth
Spin dynamics and criteria for onset of exchange bias in superspin glass Fe/gama-Fe2O3 core-shell nanoparticles
Physical Review B, 2012, Vol. 86, 014426 (8 pages) PDF.
- S. Chandra, H. Khurshid, M.H. Phan, and H. Srikanth
Asymmetric hysteresis and its dependence on magnetic anisotropy in exchange biased Co/CoO core-shell nanoparticles
Applied Physics Letters 2012, Vol. 101, 232405 (5 pages) PDF.
- T.L. Phan, P. Zhang, N. H. Dan, N. H. Yen, P. T. Thanh, T. D. Thanh, S.C. Yu, and M.H. Phan
Coexistence of conventional and inverse magnetocaloric effects and critical behaviors in Ni50Mn50-xSnx (x = 13 and 14) alloy ribbons
Applied Physics Letters 2012, Vol. 101, 202408 (5 pages) PDF.
- A. Chaturvedi, S. Stefanoski, M. H. Phan, G.S. Nolas, and H. Srikanth
Table-like magnetocaloric effect and enhanced refrigerant capacity in Eu8Ga16Ge30-EuO composite materials
Applied Physics Letters, 2011, Vol. 99, 162513 (3 pages) PDF.
- N. A. Frey, N. S. Bingham, M.H. Phan, H. Srikanth, D. D. Stauffer, and C. Leighton
Transverse Susceptibility as a probe of the magnetocrystalline anisotropy driven phase transition in Pr0.5Sr0.5CoO3
Physical Review B, 2011, Vol. 83, 024406 (7 pages) PDF.
- M. H. Phan, V. Franco, A. Chaturvedi, S. Stefanoski, G.S. Nolas, and H. Srikanth
Origin of the magnetic anomaly and tunneling effect of europium on the magnetism in Eu8Ga16Ge30 type-I clathrates
Physics Review B, 2011, Vol. 84, 054436 (7 pages) PDF.
- M.H. Phan, S. Chandra, N.S. Bingham, H. Srikanth, C.L. Zhang, S.W. Cheong, T.D. Hoang, and H.D. Chinh
Collapse of charge ordering and enhancement of magnetocaloric effect in nanocrystalline La0.35Pr0.275Ca0.375MnO3
Applied Physics Letters, 2010, Vol. 97, 242506 (3 pages) PDF.
- S. Pal, S. Chandra, M.H. Phan, P. Mukherjee, and S. Hariharan
Carbon Nanostraws: Nanotubes Filled with Superparamagnetic
Nanotechnology, 2009, Vol. 20, 485604 (7 pages) PDF .
- M.H. Phan, M.B. Morales, N.S. Bingham, H. Srikanth, C.L. Zhang, and S.W. Cheong
Phase coexistence and magnetocaloric effect in La5/8-yPryCa3/8MnO3 (y=0.275)
Physical Review B, 2010, Vol. 81, 094413 (6 pages) PDF.
- M.H. Phan, G.T. Woods, A. Chaturvedi, S. Stefanoski, G.S. Nolas, and H. Srikanth
Long-range ferromagnetism and giant magnetocaloric effect in type-VIII Eu8Ga16Ge30 clathrates
Applied Physics Letters, 2008, Vol. 93, 252505 (3 pages) PDF .
(Featured in VerticalNews)
- N.D. Ha, M.H. Phan and C.O. Kim
Novel nanostructure and magnetic properties of CoFeHfO films
Nanotechnology, 2007, Vol. 18, 155705 (7 pages) PDF .
(Featured in NanotechWeb and Cobalt News)
- M.H. Phan, S.C. Yu and N.H. Hur
Excellent magnetocaloric properties of La0.7Ca0.3-xSrxMnO3 (x = 0.05-0.25) single crystals
Applied Physics Letters, 2005, Vol. 86, 072504 (3 pages) PDF .